Darts is a popular game played in Calgary pubs and home recreation rooms across the city. Originating as a fun pastime over 100 years ago, darts has evolved into an international professionally competitive sport.
Two players, or two teams of players, are given three darts each. Each player takes three turns aiming their darts at various scores on the dartboard. The points are deducted from a predefined starting score, usually 501 or 301. The player who can reduce their score to zero first wins the game.
With the right darts, you can improve your skills and increase the enjoyment of the game. If you’re in the market for new darts, there are a few basic concepts you should know when looking at what type of darts to buy.
Different types of darts
All darts are constructed in the same basic way with a shaft, grip, and flight. However, the dart tip and grip (also known as the barrel) and type of board used should all be considered when purchasing a new set of darts. There are two basic types of dart tips: steel-tip and soft-tip.
- Steel-tip darts are for bristle dart boards and are the most common type of darts used. They are typically found in 20 to 30-gram weights, and their tip features a sharp steel point at its end to help it stick into the board. They are available with fixed or removable tips.
- Soft-tip darts are used with electronic dart boards. They are lighter than steel-tip darts, ranging between 14 and 16 grams. Soft-tip darts are designed with a plastic tip so that they don’t harm the board.
There are many different types of grips available including, wood, brass, nickel, silver, and tungsten. The most popular dart for professional or league throwers is the tungsten dart.
High-density tungsten resists wear and allow barrels to be slimmer for tighter groupings while maintaining the weight of the dart and minimizing bounce-outs. When buying tungsten darts, pay attention to the percentage of tungsten in the dart barrels.
- 70% tungsten is an affordable entry-level dart.
- 80% tungsten is ideal for aspiring dart players and provides the perfect balance between quality and affordability.
- 90% tungsten is top quality darts for professional players or anyone serious about the game.
Where to buy your darts
To ensure the best quality of your darts and dart boards purchase your darts from a party store. In Calgary, you can be certain you are getting high-quality tungsten darts at Canuck Amusements & Merchandising Ltd. To learn more about our dart selection or our many other party supplies in Calgary, contact us today.